Friday, December 9, 2016

NBA LINEUP CONSTRUCTION, FRIDAY 12/9

So my lineup today took me a long time to nail down, and I’m not sure how much I like it.  I guess I would put it this way, I like it but I don’t love it.  Let me explain my thought process.

I originally penciled Russell Westbrook in and started building around him.  I also like Giannis Antetokounmpo as a high priced guy against the Hawks.  With those two locked in, the lineup build becomes a little tricky.  Have to find value somewhere and tonight it’s not looking all that great.  One guy I’m almost certainly gonna have to play is Marcelo Huertas at min-price.  Not overly thrilled with him but his price is right and his matchup is great against the Suns.  If he can get 25 minutes he should hit value.

As it got closer to lineup lock, I wasn’t thrilled with what I had with Westbrook.  I decided to pivot off of him and go with DeMarcus Cousins instead.  Here’s my thinking - Westbrook, although matchup proof at this point, will draw the defense of Patrick Beverley.   That’s not great for him.  I think Cousins has just as much upside.  I decided to go Westy contrarian and play Beverley, who should be in line for a good amount of steals.  I then added Victor Oladipo hoping if Westbrook does struggle then he’ll pick up the scoring slack.  As a matter of fact, Oladipo’s best game of the year was against the Rockets back in mid-November when he scored 29 points with ten rebounds and five assists.  Anything close to that and I’m happy.

I knew I wanted a piece of that Suns/Lakers game.  Already have Huertas for value.  Went with Julius Randle from the Lakers and Devin Booker from the Suns.  I really like the prospects of both as this game should be an up-and-down affair.  Finished the lineup with Brandon Jennings, who’s getting the start for the Knicks against the Kings, and Dwight Powell against the Pacers.

It’s always a risky proposition fading Westbrook, and James Harden for that matter in the same game.  But I think I get as much upside by rostering Cousins at a much lower ownership percentage.  If my anti-Westbrook strategy works this lineup could put up a big number.  Crossing my fingers Huertas gets minutes in the mid-20s.  We’ll see how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment